FBFA Director of Account Management Dana Bay recently did a little Florida sales trip, driving from Orlando down the coast to Miami. After a week of sunshine, coastal routes, spicy Latin food, and visits with key clients along the way, she had a few tips for a summer road trip to the Sunshine State. Take note.
- Don’t miss the impressive art collection at the Alfond Inn in Winter Park. The collection of contemporary art from Rollins College is a partnership with the Cornell Fine Arts Museum, featuring 240 paintings, photographs, sculptures, and mixed-media works by established and emerging contemporary artists from around the world.
- The Orlando area attracts more visitors than any other amusement park destination in the United States. Home to Islands of Adventure, LEGOLAND, Seaworld, and Disney World—If theme parks are your thing, you’re in luck.
- Stop at John D. MacArthur Beach State Park on the drive down the coast. The idyllic natural treasure amid the urban jungle boasts almost two miles of pristine Atlantic coast beach, mangrove canopies, and a walkway that traverses a lagoon. A very enjoyable way to spend the afternoon.
- Tampa’s Cigar City Brewing proudly makes beers that reflect the sensibilities and ingredients of Florida. Make sure you sample a glass of their Cubano-style Espresso Brown Ale with coffee, vanilla, and cocoa nibs—yum!
- In Miami stay at the Freehand. The “poshtel” is a great mix of hostel and full-service rooms providing a hub for travelers to mix. Their in-house 27 Restaurant is modeled as a modern-day salon, fostering a communal and creative atmosphere. Their menu—with local ingredients and fresh flavors—and specialty cocktail program will keep you coming back for more!
- It’s HOT here! Did you know that a Floridian invented America’s first sunscreen, Coppertone? Good thing too, you’ll need lots of it, in addition to plenty of water to stay hydrated. You’ll thank me later.
- Key lime pie! The irresistible sweet and tangy dessert owes its success to key limes from Key West. Nearly every restaurant in Florida claims to make the “best” key lime pie, but here are some solid suggestions for the hunt.
- Headed to Fort Lauderdale? Besides the vibrant beach scene, check out the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach for a peek at a custom commissioned installation by FBFA and artist partner Rachael Ashe, impressively made entirely of cut paper!
Dana Bay is Director of Account Management at Farmboy Fine Arts.